Wednesday, January 1, 2020

30 - Aft Fuse Attachment (finished The Big Join); 31 - Fuel System (completed); 55 - Common Fuse Harness (installed); 32 - Baggage Area (flap bushings; seat hinges)

I worked on 4 different sections since the last post, with lots accomplished including finishing the fuel system and installing the common fuselage wiring harness.  The latter was a challenge - snap bushings barely fit around some of the wiring bundles; but, they do indeed fit.  SteinAir did a great job with the harness - order through them and not Van's and you'll save a few hundred bucks.  In other news, I ordered the Finishing Kit from Van's, and will be ordering the Engine/Prop from Van's very soon.  I'll also be deciding on the avionics panel, and will work with SteinAir to have their very capable team assemble something that I wouldn't dream of touching on my first build (I haven't ruled out a second project ... but, after helping me rivet the two halves of the fuselage together, my wife might have).  The following were accomplished during the past 9 days:

- finished riveting all rivets in this section.  The Big Join is complete, thanks largely to my wife!
- fuel system installed, aside from tightening the forward-most AN fitting, since the fitting gets in the way of exhaust installation
- started installing the right side of the Common Fuselage Harness; what a tight fit! Van’s couldn’t have made the holes a LITTLE bigger??  Also, the quick-connectors for the control sticks DON’T fit through the holes - I had to enlarge the holes (almost impossible to get to one of them) and shave the edges off of the rectangular connector
- finished installing both common fuselage harnesses (found a better way to up-size the three control stick wire holes on the left); also, ran the transponder/ADS-B cable, ELT cable and static line forward
- ran rudder cables as far as could go forward; redid a couple harness snap bushings; trimmed and installed outboard and inboard flap bushings; fabricated and match-drilled seatback hinges

(The pictures below are out of order, but all were taken since the last post)

Fuel system installed, thanks largely to the fuel lines supplied by Aircraft Specialty - quality products at a reasonable price:



Andair fuel selector valve:


Closeup view of the right fuel line, which will eventually go to the tank in the right wing (with additional tubing, sold separately):


The spine of the common fuselage wiring harness - lots and lots of wires.  I admire (or pity) those builders who seem to have to wire everything themselves.  I get it.  But Stein does it far better than I ever could:


Andair valve, before installation:


The big join was completed!


Aft-most connections from the common fuselage wiring harness, connecting to molex connectors in the aft fuselage:


An undercarriage view of the big join:


Another view of the wiring harness:


An inside view of the big join:


Headset connections on one side - which reminds me, I have to drill a hole for the Lemo (Bose) connector in each seat pan (actually part of the baggage floor):


This was an odd tag on the Andair valve - WTF is "stagged"; I thought it was "staked", which was right.  However, until my friend, Ken B., visited I had no idea how to do that ... thanks Ken!  Your help is invaluable.  


Installed outboard flap bushing:


These two molex connectors will terminate on the wing root - there's one set per side:


The black parts are the fuel filter (lower) and fuel pump (upper):


Seat hinges, match-drilled:


Wires and tubes and cables, oh my:


Another view of the join - those clecoed sections will eventually get riveted in a downstream task (part of the finishing kit)


Installed the inboard flap bushings:




No comments: