Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Workshop construction and Empennage kit ordered

Welcome to my Builder's Log for my RV-14A!  I have visited/drooled/lurked on Vans Airforce for several months, and after reading many of your posts, I decided to take the EAA SportAir Vans-specific course in sheetmetal construction, and then pull the trigger on purchasing tools (Cleaveland Tools) and finally the RV-14A Empennage Kit from Vans!  The major aircraft tools arrive tomorrow, and the empennage kit should be here late next week.

For now, I'm setting up my workshop, which will occupy just over 2 bays of our garage.  Since it is hot here in central Florida (!), and my wife still wants to use her side of the garage, I needed to construct an insulated wall between where my wife parks and where I have cordoned off an A/C zone to keep temps reasonable to work (for me, that's around 80F).

Wall construction:   Metal studs/tracks were far easier to manipulate, and can be easily trimmed with aviation snips.  The final wall will be shown in a later post.






Pallet of supplies from Home Depot, below, to construct insulated wall (2" thick foam board sheets screwed onto the studs) as well as at least two EAA workbenches.  Since I was getting wood delivered, and thus didn't get to choose individual 2x4" boards, I ordered more than required and just picked the straightest pieces for my workbenches (to be described in a later post).  The crappier pieces will serve as holders for completed parts, etc.



No comments: