Sunday, July 21, 2019

Section 20 - Bottom Wing Skins (finished left outboard skin); Section 23 - Aileron Actuation (torque tube install; pushrod install)

If I haven't yet mentioned how much I dislike riveting bottom wing skins, let me mention it here:  it sucks, bigly. But, they are now done, with some help from my wife on areas that I simply couldn't stretch to rivet (about 80 rivets in two bays). I departed from Van's instructions, and just riveted everything that I could reach at the point I could best reach the rivets.  This generally meant going from inboard to outboard (thanks Ken B. for this suggestion!) and aft to forward where possible. For parts that I could not rivet on my own, my wife manned the rivet gun and I streeeeetched to reach rivets in unsightly places. Once the skins were done, I then attached the torque tube (didn't need any extra washers for spacing) and final-installed the torque tube-to-bellcrank pushrod. I noticed that the pushrod is right in the area where my nice pitot/AOA tubing needs to go; when I final-install the Garmin GAP-26, I'll have to bend the tubing around the pushrod a bit.  The left wing went back in the wing stand, the right main spar came out of the crate, and the crate was ejected from the workshop.  Progress!

Oh, and I helped Ken B. move his RV-14A wings to a hangar, as well as mount an engine!  There are certain tasks like these that require a village ... or at least a couple extra hands.

Early on in riveting the left outboard lower skin - those 8 rivets around the flap bracket are a real chore:



Riveted the Gretz mount - this system works really well:


I had to reach underneath the skin with my right arm, contort it through the second lightening hole (from aft spar), and rivet the skin along the aft spar.


About 80% through riveting the lower outboard skin:


Done!  Fortunately, no "oil canning":


Another view:


Left torque tube installed:


Final-installed torque tube-to-bellcrank pushrod to the bellcrank:


Final installed pushrod on the torque tube clevis arm (I'll tidy up the wires later):


Left wing, back in the wing stand:


Right main spar, out of the crate!  I'll get to this soon, most likely after completing more of the flaps:

No comments: