Sunday, April 14, 2019

Sections 17 & 18 - Outb.Lead.Edge & Fuel Tank (riveted leading edge to spar; light lens; started fuel tank)

It's been 2.5 weeks since I last updated the blog ... but, I've accomplished a few tasks during that time, as well as did a few non-build items (Sun 'n Fun; work retreat; kids' activities; etc. etc.) that took more time than usual away from the RV-14A.

I finished the outboard leading edge, which involved a lot of new skills when working with the plexiglass light lens. From reading the forums, many builders have had to repeat this step due to lens cracking, mostly at the drilled holes.  It involves using #30 and #27 plexi-bits (60deg point), and drilling VERY slowly.  The pneumatic drill is too fast, so I used my Dewalt cordless drill on the slow setting. Cutting the edges was a dilemma that I researched for quite some time - do I saw, route, melt? A 1.5" diameter plastic-specific cutoff wheel for my Dremel seemed to work well, and was what some folks use (others use different cutoff wheels).  Plastic EVERYWHERE, including a small, hot piece that went into my eye (even with eye protection over my regular glasses) - that was my fault; I was looking right over the work and my eye protection was slipping.  Lesson learned.

Used pneumatic squeezer to rivet bottom aft rivets on outboard leading edge to main spar:



My wife helped bucked the top aft rivets of the outboard leading edge to the main spar (shown upside down):


The start of the plexiglass work - after tracing a line around the plastic, I taped the outside to not scratch the surface.


Used a Dremel w/ plastic cutoff wheel to do the first trim (shown here), then finished with a disc sander (not shown):


First internal fit, tracing the opening onto the tape.  Pulling on the tape really doesn't work that well, so my arm had to be stuffed inside the lightening hole to push the plastic closer to the leading edge.


Second fitting, to match-drill the plastic using a #30 plexi-bit; this was a bitch-and-a-half.


Countersinking the plastic, dimpling the skin for a #6 screw not shown.  Here is the completed product - not bad for the first attempt; for the right wing, I'll try to reduce the gap a bit more.  But it still looks about as good as the Van's RV-14A that was on display at Sun 'n Fun.  Importantly - no scratches on the lens!


FAA mugshot:


Started the left fuel tank; straighten and fluted edges of ribs:


Drilled holes for finger strainer flange:


Other side:


I'm now in the midst of deburring all the edges and holes in the ribs ... nothing to show, but lots of time.


No comments: