Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Section 10 - Aft Fuselage (waiting....)

I'm still alive - barely hanging on - waiting for my wing kit.  As of tonight, it's somewhere near Omaha.  The delivery date moved from 2/15 to 2/22 today - argh.  To beat back my pseudo-depression, I cleaned and reorganized the workshop, and put away most of the tail feathers and tucked the aft fuselage in the corner of the workshop. All tools are finally put away in their proper homes.  There's nothing left to do but wait.  That's not my forte.

In the interim, I hung the horizontal stabilizer on the garage/workshop wall - it's still hanging a week later, so that's good.  My wife heard a loud CRASH in the garage last week, and thought it was this part falling to the ground.  Thankfully, it was just a spring that broke on our other garage door.



Oh, I attended an EAA SportAir Workshop for Electrical and Avionics in Lakeland last weekend, which gave me the confidence to make my own harnesses.  Will I?  Doubtful - SteinAir does such a great job.  But at least now I know how to make molex and D-sub harnesses with aplomb.  Shown below are a few tools we used:


I don't have pics of the first project (D-sub harness for headset and mic). But, here are pics of the second project ... this pic was from the example; mine was constructed with a bit more care (of course, right?).  I had to remember V=IR, P=IV, using a multimeter, and a few other basic electronics from high school ... flashback fun!



Final storage of 4 of 6 empennage parts in one corner of the workshop (aft fuselage, horizontal stabilizer, vertical stabilizer and rudder) ... the two elevators are standing up in the back of the Master BR closet, far away from klutzy kids (and their parents).


Hopefully the next post will be pics of the Wing Kit inventory!

No comments: