Saturday, November 17, 2018

Section 10 - Aft Fuselage (completed SB-18-09-17; attached R side; riveted skins to bulkheads)

Due to work (grant deadline looming) and extra extracurricular activities for the kids, I had not stepped foot in the shop for 5 days. However, with the wife and kids visiting grandparents in south Florida, I had plenty of time to catch up today.  First, I completed the service bulletin (SB-18-09-17), since it was easier for me to rivet stiffeners to the bottom skin when the right skin was not yet attached.  After completing the SB, I proceeded to attach the right j-stiffeners (A and B), the right longeron, and both angle stiffeners.  I then modified the aft bottom skin, dimpled where necessary, riveted the aft bottom skin to the aft-most (F-01412) bulkhead, and wedged the two in the aft portion of the aft fuselage assembly.  I then started to rivet the F-01411 bulkhead (second from aft) to the aft bottom skin ... and then I realized I had been in the workshop for nearly 7 hrs without food and without stopping. Then beer called ...

Completed SB, outside view (doubler attached to bottom skin):


Completed SB, inside view:


Right skin, j-stiffeners and longeron clecoed to assembly:


another view:


I guess I liked taking pictures of this:


Aft bottom skin, prior to trimming edges:


After trimming, deburring and dimpling the aft bottom skin; attached to aft bulkhead with clecos:


Riveted aft bottom skin to aft bulkhead:


The aft bottom skin and aft bulkhead well-clecoed to the aft part of the aft fuselage assembly:


Looks like a cleco porcupine:


Started riveting the bulkheads to the bottom skin.  Since I don't have gorilla arms, I can't do the F-01410 bulkhead without someone to buck the rivets. So, tomorrow I'll start riveting the side skins to the longerons, and work myself down the skin until I can't reach anymore.  By then, the wife and kids will be home - one of them should be able to help me. This will be the first time any one of them has helped with an actual airplane part - best to start with the bottom skin, which will not be easily visible once the plane has been completed.


No comments: