Monday, June 10, 2019

Section 18 - Fuel Tank (Riveted ribs; prosealed attach bracket, j-stiffener, shop heads; leak tested left tank; left tank mounting); Section 19 - Wing Systems Routing (ran WH-00011 and WH-00012 harnesses)

This week, I took a little time away from my project to help a friend, Ken B., attach the main gear and nose gear to his RV-14A; it was an all-day experience, but well worth the effort (see pics below). It was motivating to see what is nearly the end of his project, and thus when I returned home last week, I continued working on my wing kit with renewed gusto:

Riveted 7 ribs to skin, prosealed (3rd cartridge) j-stiffener, attach bracket, 11 stiffener shop heads, 5 internal rib shop heads - just enough to cover everything; prepared, scuffed and dimpled baffle; scuffed z-brackets; marked places where proseal is needed on shop heads (mostly stiffeners); cut and flared vent tubing; and, final leak-tested LEFT tank (no leaks!), and partially installed the left tank onto left wing.  I also had some time to run the WH-00011 harness (lights) and the WH-00012 harness (ADAHRS), and crimped and installed the wire to stall horn switch prior to installing the fuel tank (easier access to stall horn switch).

Pics from Ken's gear-attach party:




Impressive - it REALLY looks like an airplane now ... minus wings, engine, tail, etc:


Back to my project - riveted 5 internal ribs:


Other side:


Riveted inboard and outboard ribs:


Other side:


Prosealed j-stiffener and attach bracket:


Prosealed shop heads of stiffeners and ribs:


Another view:


Cut and flared aluminum tubing for vent line:


Another view:


Playing around with resistance of fuel level sender - can't remember if this is fully closed or open:


Finished z-stiffeners (scuffed and acetone-cleaned) and then marked for install:


Installed tip lighting harness in left wing:


Other wires from the WH-00011 harness:


WH-00011 harness root:


WH-00012 harness for ADAHRS:


WH-00012 installed at root:


I did the final leak testing (soapy water, blow up balloon like I showed previously) but I forgot to take another picture until after I had removed the test kit.  I couldn't find any leaks after 30min of soaping down all nooks, crannies, and rivets.  Hope that translates to holding and not leaking 100LL.


Installed wire on stall horn switch.  Come to think of it, I ordered the Garmin heated AOA/Pitot with all the fixin's from SteinAir ... I might have to reroute that wire to the AOA if the plans call for it.  Will find out when I receive the AOA/Pitot (and the magnetometer, LRU, and OAT probe) this week.


Another view:


Partially mounted the left tank on the left wing assembly.  Tightened all the bolts (not final-torqued yet) and all the screws on the bottom side (facing up), as well as a few screws on the top side (facing down on the table). Once I finish the right tank, I'll have more room to span two tables to finish screwing from underneath (easier than trying to flip the wing).


Another view:







No comments: