Sunday, September 23, 2018

Section 9 - Elevators (trim tab; priming)

Today's task was to fabricate the trim tab to the point where I have to Proseal the foam ribs to the skins/spar ... but I'll actually hold, so I can do that part when I glue the foam ribs to the left elevator (i.e. don't waste the Proseal).  I was almost to the point of riveting the trim tab horns, until I realized I wanted/needed to prime them prior to installation.  So I ended up priming all the other parts that either were non alclad, or that I scuffed so much during fabrication that the alonized coating had worn off.

Most of the trim tab parts (there's not a lot to it) - not shown are one foam rib, the small trim tab horns, and the aft hinge:



Masking spots that were sanded with 150grit aluminum oxide sandpaper - gets surface ready for Proseal-attachment of foam ribs:


Scuffed and acetone-cleaned parts shown here (3 stripes per piece, one per foam rib):


Only a little priming was needed for the elevators. The 4 large end ribs were not alclad, and a few of the other little pieces needed a good coat of primer:


This P100 respirator is somewhat a pain to wear (I sweat profusely in it), but it's essential to protect against the myriad VOCs emitted when spraying the SEM primer:


Drying/curing - I'll rivet them soon...


No comments: